Sunday 20 July 2008

Back in a city

breakfast with homestay families - very nice although simon had a small issue with chilli in his noodles - claire tells me martyn may have already posted this but never mind !
After breakfast we drove to sandakan and a chance to have a proper shower not just the local "mandi" (cold water in a bucket). then a spot of lunch and off to visit the war memorial - very moving and a sobering view of ww 2 that we knew nothing about. the pow camps and the death marches that went on over here made for harrowing reading. After a spot of quiet reflection and contemplation at the chinese buddhist temple (where the symbol for peace is just a 45 degree or mirror image - not sure which - variation on a swastika) we went for dinner at a 'steamboat' restaurant. Much hilarity ensued as we fought each other for our bits of food in this malaysian fondu style meal. It was yummy and exactly what we needed. Best pudding yet - kay and claire found milo ice cream and cones in the supermarket so they were consumed with gusto by all in the hotel ! Turtles and beach tomorrow - more then.

Reha says: Hello to my family 8-)

Tom: Tom says Vicki's mum call my parents and tell them to post me a message as I'm feeling unloved.

Simon says ... Hohohoho

Jack says sorry KJ, couldn't find you a monkey but I had a leach on my leg, and well done parents for working out how to comment.

9 comments:

Newmans4 said...

Hi again
The shower obviously did the trick Rhea you look sparkling clean! Good to see you are not starving. All looks v good. Are we going to have a new menu when you get back? Hope you manage to see the baby turtles tonight - All good here. B & B survived the week with Grace and have not got too fat - obviously they have been walked! (whether together we are not sure - Grace hasn't put on any weight either!! Enjoy yr early wake up call. Back to work for me tomorrow so prob will sign it l8tr.
Love from us all xxxx

sue patey said...

Hi there. Tom, I would call your parents but not sure who they are on the list. If you let me know your surname I can (none of us thought to put our child's name against our names when we signed the snowmail sheet!)
So you are all glad to be back in civilisation for a while at least.
Not much going on here, apart from Lewis Hamilton winning German grand prix. Booo!!
Ah well, at least I managed to see Michael Schumacher on TV. Please tell Vicky that bit!! as she thinks Schumacher is great!!!!!
love Mum
xxxxxxx

Craigy Baby said...

Hey Twinks *mwah*
Hi everybody else too.
Sounds like you've been having lotsa fun!
I'd like to have watched you playing volleyball babeh ;] haha.
Turtle island will be good, I'm jealous you get to go there!! Bring me back a baby turtle =] lol.
I'll keep it at your house and it can be Amy's new friend.
You'll have loadsaaa stuff to tell me about when you get back hehe Like how it was to sleep in a hammock in the jungle.
I think the summer's finally arriving to England lol today was the first sunny day we've had yet, I hope it stays this way. I bet you're tanned, when you get back you'll be calling me Pale and you Dale lol.
Have fun and stay safe!
Missing you loads,
Love you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hello Lauren. Looks like you are all having a great time. Hope you are eating better now. I bet you are all looking foward to seeing the turtles very soon. Hope this message gets to you.
Love Mum,Dad and Kelly x

Mum said...

Just the one leech eh, Jack? That's leeches for novices -wait until you've got 14 all at once! Well done for getting up the mountain! I had no problem getting on this blog thingummy; I simply asked Grace Newman how to do it! Have tried to ring you but not sure we've got your current number. Grandad is in hospital -broken his hip. Hey ho....

Anonymous said...

hi to you all
it is rally great hearing how you are all getting on and what you have seen . Simon really chillies for breakfast ,sugar is meant to be good to counteract their effect.
Had fun with Ian and Liz over the wekend ,they say HI
Love Sian

Ava Pierro said...

Hey Rhea!
How are you?! Hope your having an amazing time! Although from reading the blogs I already know you are! Can't wait for you to get back and to see all your photos! Tell everyone hi from me and that i hope they haven't been eaten by a leech! Missing you loads so come back soon!
lots of love,
Ava xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ava Pierro said...

Hey Rhea!
How are you?! Hope your all having an amazing time! Although i can tell from the blogs that you already are! Can't wait for you to get back and to see all your photos! Tell everyone hi from me and that i hope they havent been eaten by a leech! Missing you loads so come back soon!
lots of love,
Ava xxxxxxxxxxx

Craigy Baby said...

Hey Lauren.
I hope you're doing well and having lotsa fun!
I bet turtle island was good, hope you got to see some turtles hatching.
I've started shopping for clothes for our holiday now hehe I can't wait for it!
I love and miss you loads, take care -Crumpet xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx